Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Power of the Dark Side

I'm sitting here watching the latest Star Wars release, Episode III. Though I do prefer the originals, this episode does have something to contribute to our discussion of "the grey." In it Annikan, who was once our famed hero, goes through his transformation into Darth Vader (sorry if I ruined it for you). For Annikan/Vader the transition is quick and definable. Though he struggles with himself he moves from one side to the other. He must make a choice. The choice is quite clearly black or white. Will he move to the dark side, or will he remain true to the Jeti? You know the answer.

I saw some of myself in Annikan's story. So many times I find myself making decisions that are black or white. My opinion on issues may be grey but my actions mustn't be. In each moment, each time I am confronted with a choice, I must choose black or white. This is what complicates the grey areas even more; and thus, purposes the existence of this blog.

For example: in terms of politics, Christianity does not require party allegiance (or at least it shouldn't). One Christian can vote Liberal, another Conservative, and still another NDP. In fact, one Christian can vote for all three parties in his/her lifetime and not place his/her faith in jeopardy. Though the issue of politics is grey, the voting process if very black and white. One cannot place a grey vote; one is forced to choose. Just like Annikan. Just like me.

But when will I choose white and when will I choose black? That is the question. We can discuss how grey an issue is until we are blue (or grey) in the face; but we still must choose black and white when we live it out. If we feel politics are grey we must still vote one way or another. If we see alcohol as grey we must still decide when and when not to drink. Etc, etc, etc. And the real, down-to-earth, practical, and grass-roots question becomes: When is a grey issue black and when is it white?

No comments: