Friday, January 27, 2006

Why am I a Christian?

I went to a "Youth Pastor's" lunch the other day even though I wouldn't consider myself a youth pastor. Somehow I received an email about the happening and in it were the words "free meal." How could I resist? Anyhow I thought it would be a good time of discussion, and it was.

To go along with the free meal was a free book. And because I was there so early (sometimes I've just got nothing better to do) I got first choice. I looked over a couple of Doug Fields books (one of the modern day gods of youth ministry), scanned past some Mike Yaconelli (another great man of youth ministry, one I actually highly respect); but nothing seemed to catch my eye. Then I moved some off the top of a pile and found something appealing. It was a book called "a Generous Orthodoxy" by Brian McLaren. I have heard of McLaren many times. His name seems to be ever so connected to the "emergent" movement. But I have never read him. This was my chance. So I took it (the book that is).

As I started to read I appreciated his style and discourse. His direction wasn't bad either. But before he could take me there, he stumped me with a very simple question. Why am I a Christian? He asks it of himself; but I was taken back by its implications for me. Why am I a Christian? And as I started thinking on this idea it took me deeper still. If I am a Christian, does that better or worsen the chance that others would want to be one?

This question isn't directly "grey" but it does have grey answers. Each one of us has reasons why he or she is or isn't a Christian. Some of our reasons are actually reasons; others are just excuses. McLaren has challenged me again to analyze my own reasons and test them not only for strength but also authenticity. Because if my reasons are left wanting will not my witness be also?

So, why are you a Christian? Why are you not a Christian? And how are your reasons/excuses influencing others around you?

...

No comments: